What We're Reading
- The New Rules of Marriage, by Terrence Real-- This is a smart, timely book that offers both a cultural understanding of the institution of marriage and a practical, skill-building handbook.
- I Don't Want to Talk About It, by Terry Real -- An insightful exploration of male depression.
- Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius -- The emperor's diary written as conversations between his "Directing Mind" and his lower self.
- The 30- Day Solution, by Jack Canfield and David Andrews -- an alternative approach to problem drinking.
- The Happiness Trap, by Russ Harris -- a well written and practical approach to emotional management
- Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength -- Roy Baumeister and John Tierney
- How Can I Get Through to You? By Terrence Real-- a thoughtful exploration of relationships
- The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg -- an exploration of how habits work in our lives
- Love Warrior: a Memoir, by Glennon Doyle Melton- Not only has this book shot to the best sellers list, but it truly is one of my favorite books of all time. With brutal honesty and vulnerability, Doyle Melton explores addiction, recovery, infidelity, growth and how to breath in life.
- Come As You Are: the surprising new science that will transform your sex life, by Emily Nagoski – an incredibly insightful and necessary guide for woman (and men!). Truly one of the best books I’ve read about the body, trauma, desire (lack of desire) and sex.
- Seven Thousand Way to Listen: Staying Close to What it Sacred by Mark Nepo – how to listen deeply to life. Deeply spiritual and wonderfully poetic.
- Brave Parenting: a Buddhist-inspired guide to raising emotionally resilient children, by Krissy Pozatek -taking some simple Buddhist principles, the book addresses some of the biggest struggles modern parents struggle with in raising their children
- Born for Love: why empathy is essential – and endangered, by Bruce D. Perry – as a therapist, empathy is my most important tool, as a father it’s my most necessary one – as a human it’s essential.
- Mating in Captivity: unlocking erotic intelligence, by Esther Perel – Esther asks some challenging questions as she examine love, desire and sex in the modern marriage.